Monday, March 19, 2012

Yes You Can!

I can't imagine anyone in America who isn't familiar with theLittle Engine Who Could.  Chugging out, "I Think I Can.  I Think I Can . . ." the diminutive locomotive was able to pull its load over the mountain.  I'll leave lessons about the power of positive thinking for another day.  Right now consider the power of negative assurance to keep one nailed down to the status-quo.
 Until we stop saying "I can't," it is about certain that we won't.  
Sometimes the "I can't" represents reality, as in "I (HM) cannot run a four-minute mile."  Other times it represents prudence, as in "I can't pay that much for that."  On still other occasions it represents a moral stand.  "I can't let this injustice go."  What concerns me today is when "I can't is an excuse."  We hear it from little children.  "I can't finish my milk."  Unfortunately I frequently it from adults.
Some involved in adulterous affairs will claim an inability to break it off.  Those enslaved by addictions claim they can't stop.  I know better than to say it out loud, but I sometimes think in my mind, "I can't forgive that person."  
The fact is, in every one of the examples above, and countless others this reply, which is one of my Seventh and Eighth grade one-liners, applies.  
Yes you can.  
I'm not saying it won't be hard.  It may not be something you can do in one fell swoop--it may very well involve a process.  You might need to enlist the help of others, and constant vigilance may be required to keep you from regressing, but when we are talking about something that the Lord tells us to do, it can be done.
If you are determined to stay stuck in one place on God's railroad of obedience, at least have the honesty to change your chant.  Instead of "I know I can't."  it ought to be "I'm sure I won't."  Bottom line it's not a lack of ability, but the presence of stubborness.
When God tells us what to do, and we say, "I can't," listen for a moment.  You'll hear the reply.  "Yes, you can."


No comments:

Post a Comment