Thursday, November 15, 2012


HM
SOMETHING 
TO THINK ABOUT
I'm struggling with the concept of thanksgiving. I don't think I'm an ingrate.  I'm sure that there are times when others do things for me, and I don't show appropriate gratitude, but I really think I do pretty well in that regard.  I have my mom, dad, and other's who had input in my life during my formative years to thank for that.  What I struggle with is a concept I'm working through for my sermon this Sunday.  It is clear that I ought to be giving thanks for some things, and in some circumstances, that I don't find thank-worthy.   You can do the research but I find words like "all," "always," and "every," in regard to thanksgiving.  Here is one example:  "In everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." (1 Thessalonians 5:18) 
I'll not preach the message here--to be honest, I'm not ready to preach it, yet--but this much is clear.  When it comes to offering thanks, I'm too dumb to be ungrateful.  
I only see the right now.  God sees what is coming.
I am often so blinded by "I want," that I can't see what I need.
I am enamored with appearance and perception.  God deals in substance.
 
At the base of thanksgiving is God's sovereignty.  He does cause "all things to work together for good to those who love God."  (Romans 8:28)
 
As a boy, before I sat down for Thanksgiving dinner, mom would tell me to wash up and put on some nicer clothes.  In the same way, if I am to offer thanks I need to get ready.  The preparation for thanksgiving is trust.  If I trust God, I will have little trouble giving thanks in everything.
 
It's STTA.
Find lot's of information about how God stepped into our world to meet needs we cannot meet on our own, here.

No comments:

Post a Comment