Tuesday, November 6, 2012

The Most Important Thing I'll Do On Election Day:


HM
SOMETHING 
TO THINK ABOUT
I have no doubt, that right now, some enterprising business people are gearing up the machinery for a new batch of "Don't blame me" stuff.  You know, bumper-stickers, T-shirts, etc. that say "DON'T BLAME ME.  I VOTED FOR  xxxxx.  Over the past months we have seen incredible examples of blame dodging.  If one is going to be a successful candidate in our modern political world she or he needs to suit up in Teflon.  Every accusation needs to be dodged or parried with "Not my fault," or a "There is the blame!"
I just read a prayer by an incredibly Godly, very effective government operative.  What a contrast!
If ever one could claim, "It's not my fault!" it was Daniel.  He was just a kid when a conquering force took him and made him a servant to the victorious king.  Everything we read about him indicates that he was a man of sterling character, yet when he prayed (Daniel 9):
  • He confessed the sin of his people. 
  • He saw that the state they were in was because they hanot heeded God's warnings.
  • Rather than whine, he acknowledged that what had happened and was happening to his people was just and right.
  • His conclusion was that God keeping His word was much more important than the difficulties in which his people found themselves. (Pretty much the whole prayer)
After his confession, Daniel went on to humbly ask the Lord for relief.  He stepped up and did the most effective thing he could do--he prayed.  There was no "You owe me!"  Rather Daniel made this plea:  " . . incline Your ear and hear! Open Your eyes and see our desolations and the city which is called by Your name; for we are not presenting our supplications before You on account of any merits of our own, but on account of Your great compassion." (Daniel 9:18)

I've heard a number of campaigners and talking news-heads tell me that voting is the most important thing I can do today.  Well, I do plan to vote, but that is far from the most important activity I'll be involved in.  Daniel and I are going to pray.  I encourage you to join us.

It's STTA.
Find lot's of information about how God stepped into our world to meet needs we cannot meet on our own here.

No comments:

Post a Comment