Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Keeping My Feet On The Ground:

I look forward to heaven, but my address is still 2106 S. Carpenter Drive.  As I pointed out yesterday, I need to leave final relocation plans to the Lord.

As I think about those I have known,  personally, and through scripture, I can think of no one more heavenly minded than the Apostle Paul.  I also know of no one who kept his well-worn sandals more firmly on Terra-firma than the Apostle from Tarsus.  In fact, by keeping his eye on eternity he found motivation to keep going down here.
 
 After  stating "we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ," Paul goes on to say, "Therefore, knowing the fear of the Lord, we persuade men."
 
While interpreters disagree as to just what the "upward" or "high" call of Christ is in Philippians 3:14, it is clear that it is "heavenward" (NIV).  This motivated Paul to "Press on . . ."
 
He labored with the realization that there was something to be lost.  He did not want to be disqualified from the race he was running.  Rather he looked forward to receiving the prize.  ". . . woe is unto me, if I preach not the gospel!"  
   "Run in such a way that you may win [the prize]."   He says no sacrifice is too great.  Comparing the race he was running to that of the athletes at the Isthmian Games, the Apostle said "They . . . do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable."  On that basis he found no effort in fulfilling his ministry too great.  I think he would have liked the song, "It will be worth it all when we see Jesus."  (You can read about Paul's heaven-earth reasoning in 1 Corinthians 9.)

Indeed, it seems that all of Paul's life was tied up in heavenly investments.  He clearly lived out the Lord's admonition to "lay up treasures in heaven."  Concerning the Christians at Thessalonica, people in whom he had invested his life, he said, "[You are my] hope or joy or crown of exultation. . . . For you are our glory and joy."  (1 Thessalonians 2:19-20)

The Apostle's focus on heaven was not a distraction.  It kept his focus clear.rd,

It's STTA.

No comments:

Post a Comment