Monday, September 9, 2013

Wide-Eyed Wonder:

I'm involved in a slow--because of who I am--intermittent--because of other responsibilities and interupptions--reading of Millard Erickson's Theology.  It's a good sized book over a thousand pages long.
When I opened the text this morning, my marker was on a major division page.  The section it introduces is about one-hundred-fifteen pages long. 
 
"PART FOUR
What God Does"

I opened the book right after reading a Facebook posting.  A sharp, perceptive, preschooler asked his mom, "Why doesn't God make "broken germs"?"
For those of you aren't as perceptive as this young man, broken germs wouldn't be able to do what germs do, which is make people sick.  I'm fairly sure that after working on it for forty years I still can't give this budding theodicy-seeker an answer that he would find satisfying.  So, I was already in a humbled state when I opened the book of the learned Doctor and saw the headline, "What God Does."

I immediately thought:  I could have saved a lot of paper and ink.  Dr. Erickson, in your revised edition I propose that Part Four consist of this:

Whatever He Wants!*
 
 (I realize, of course, that that might require a couple hundred pages of footnotes.)

Lord, may I never get over the wide-eyed wonder that You are greater than I can know.  Thanks for the reminder that mental boxes are as inadequate for containing You, as are cardboard cartons.
Help me to continue to learn more about you, and to gain a greater grasp of the truth of Romans 8.
And, Lord, I look forward to a day when all germs will be broken.  Come quickly, Lord.
Amen 

(I Suffer from hangups.  I didn't feel right putting a link in a prayer, so here it is:  Romans 8.)


It's STTA.

On our website, covingtonbblechurch.com, put your cursor over the "Devotional and Study Aids" tab and select "Thirty Days of Praying the Names and Attributes of God."  Follow the link.

   
There is lots of information about the one Who died so that we could have life at our webpage, covingtonbiblechurch.com.  Click on "Life's most important question."
  

 (* I realize, of course, that that might require a couple hundred pages of footnotes.)

No comments:

Post a Comment