Monday, September 23, 2013

Looking forward to Heaven:

I look forward to heaven.

And it's not just because my knees ache.  
Over the past few days I had the privilege of visiting with old friends and hearing from some others.  I miss them.  I received news of the birth of a great niece, named after my grandmother, and I am processing the ongoing process of my mothers gradual decline toward death--a process that long ago robbed her of all that makes her who she is.  
I'm acutely aware of the separation of miles, and more touched by the gaps that grow between people because of the friction of life here on this sin-cursed globe.  
An acquaintance just died one of those "senseless" deaths--as if death ever surrenders to good sense--and a friend, younger than me, who very much needs to stay with us--Lord, are you listening?--is battling a life threatening disease.  To top it off I just attended the funeral of a little guy who never got to come home from the hospital.

As my late pastor used say, these things "cause us to long for heaven."

I want to be in a place that is not controlled by the wicked one.
I long for a place where distance and stupidity do not come between friends.
I am looking forward to being in a realm where the only mention of death will be to observe that it is dead.
My knees won't ache, and in the same way some wonderfully sweet people I know, won't be hampered by thinking apparatus that doesn't work up to spec.  (I figure were all in that group to one degree or another.  I know I am.)
I desire the completion of what my Lord has begun.
I want to thank Him.

Yep, Heaven is looking good.

But, enough of that.  God is the conductor who punches the tickets.  Until then I need to be faithful.  The Apostle Paul, somebody on my list of people I want to meet, has some things to say about that in Philippians 1 & 2 Corinthians 5.

Lord, help to live here and now, with then and there on my mind.  Amen.

It's STTA.

No comments:

Post a Comment