Thursday, December 29, 2016

Thinking About What I NEED

A teaser headline that came up on my Facebook wall reminded me of a conversation I had the other day.

"The Beatles: Facts and Scandalous Trivia
You Need to Know"

Really?
If I don't know these things I might go hungry, or shiver in the cold, or my wife might leave me?  A friend and I were talking about this matter of need a few days ago.  He teaches Sunday School to a group of first-graders.  As the gift-a-copia of Christmas was on the near horizon, the topic of a recent lesson was, "What do we really need?" You probably have a pretty good idea. High on the list was the latest electronic gadget. I have more sypathy for those who "needed" a bike--at least it will cause them to exercise. On it goes. To get a lesson on 21st Century need--of course not to be confused with a word that rhymes and begins with "gr"--just watch one of the house hunter type "reality" TV shows. Two people need four bedrooms. How have so many of us survived so long without granite counter-tops? Just listen to the show; they are necessity. Listening to the house-shoppers, it is easy to see why kids in primary school have warped views of what they need. We have taught them well.

The Bible is not opposed to people having nice things, but when we come to think that we need them, we are well on our way to the things having us.  It's a form of idolatry.
This is Something to Think About, so I'd encourage you to think about it.  The following will give you some material for your thought-mill:

By the way, I didn't read the article about the Beatles. I don't need to know.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment