Monday, November 23, 2009

President Lincoln and a little boy:

Long before there were TV networks--before Oprah or even Donahue--President Lincoln pulled off the perfect soft-news coup. Shortly after coming to office, presiding over a nation that was ripping itself apart, President Lincoln wrote this note on bahalf of a young boy: I did see and talk with master George Evans Patten, last May, at Springfield, Illinois. Respectfully, A Lincoln"George had met Lincoln at a campaign event, and--kids have always been this way--his friends wouldn't believe him. Honest Abe took the time to vouch for the young man's veracity. I'm generally unimpressed with memorabilia that bring impressive bids at auction, but if you want to buy this note and give it to me, I'll frame it. There are a number of photographs of President Lincoln, but this is a snapshot of his heart, and a lesson from a great man. However busy I am, today, I need to take time to be kind. It's STTA
http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/11/20/lincoln.letter/

No comments:

Post a Comment