Thursday, November 5, 2009

"So Tonto says to The Lone Ranger, "What do you mean, 'We,' paleface?"


The election is over.
Stretching back to three days before the civil war--slight exaggeration--candidates and their surrogates have been campaigning.* Now various friends and foes are busy positioning themselves in relation to the winner and losers. Everyone wants to be seen as being a friend of and core-supporter of a winner, while losing candidates may find phones going unanswered and emails ignored.
"What have you done for me lately?" has expanded to, "What can you do for me in the next ten minutes?"An old adage says that "Politics makes for strange bed-fellows." I would add that often politics--at least the Twenty-first Century variety--makes for very poor friendships.
From kids trying to negotiate the social jungle at their school, to hard-charging adults trying to get ahead, there is a temptation and a tendency to use others to try to advance. A true friend will still be my friend the day after I lose, and more to the point: I need to be the kind of friend that others can count on when they really need a friend.

It's STTA.

*For you folk unfortunate enough to not live in the Old Dominion or who are not fortunate enough to not live in New Jersey, I might need to remind you that we just had an off-year election.

No comments:

Post a Comment