Wednesday, February 3, 2010

"If I Were God . . ."

I told you yesterday about substantive change.
You do realize, don't you, that God doesn't need to seek my approval on changes that He brings or allows?
I have a rather homey way of expressing the fact that often God's ways are beyond us, "If God didn't do anything that I couldn't understand, He wouldn't be much of a God, would He?" (The statement isn't original with me, but where I first heard it is lost in the muck of my mind, which serves to further illustrate my point.)
Romans 11 puts the concept this way:
Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and unfathomable His ways! 34) For who has known the mind of the Lord, or who became His counselor? 35) Or who has first given to Him that it might be paid back to him again? 36) For from Him and through Him and to Him are all things. To Him be the glory forever. Amen." (Romans 11:33-36, NASB95)

My response to God ought to be one of yielding not argumentation. I'm not saying I always agree with the choices God makes. Some things I don't get. Just recently I made one of those, "If I were God . . ." statements. Every time I speak such words, I am immediately flooded with thanksgiving that I'm not the Soveriegn of the Universe, and that God is not like me--at least in regard to the matter under discussion.
If God is God He sees things in infinite scope. I only see one side of a speck. He sees all that is past and all that will be. I exist in a nano-second, and I've forgotten part of that.
God is God, and I'm not. He can bring whatever change He chooses--substantive or not--and if I'm wise, I'll respond in faith and obedience.
It's STTA.

No comments:

Post a Comment