Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Living at church:

Having spent my life in the "church business," I have heard the statement, "She/He lives at church," many times. Whether that statement is intended as a compliment or not depends on who? and when? and exactly what?
Disclaimer:
If you are looking for one of those recovering religion-O-holic kind of things you need to look elsewhere. I'm an old church fan. I am still thoroughly convinced that the church--the true church that can track its lineage back to Matthew 16--is this world's last best hope.*
A friend, though, sent me some pictures about someone who really does live at church, or more accurately a building that used to be a church-house, and I found that pretty sad.
I know the building is just brick and mortar and well-done woodwork, but so frequently church-houses becoming houses, or offices or restaurants (Kathy once ate at a lovely one.), or barns tends to represent the decline of influence of the real church--not the building, but the folk who meet there.
I know it is simplistic, but there is a certain undeniable logic to it: If more of us would go to church this Sunday, it would be less likely that someone will be living there next year. And that will make all our houses better places to live.

It's STTA.

(See pictures of the church house. Click here:

* I read this statement in one of Pastor Bill Hybels' books.

No comments:

Post a Comment