Sunday, February 7, 2010

Manhood, Superbowl Style:

My son and his family just moved to Louisiana so I was more interested in the Superbowl than usual. It was a good game, especially for the folk in the Whodat Nation.
As usual, the show in the show brought as much attention as the big game, itself. I noticed a theme that ran through many of the ads. I guess since these commercials were part of big testosterone fueled sporting event it's not surprising that a lot of them had to do with questions of manhood.
A pitch for soap, that is usually associated with ladies, and their quest for lovelier skin, asks guys, "Now that you are comfortable with who you are, isn't it time that you had comfortable skin?"
Then there is a monologue about all the things that guys do to please the women in their lives which finishes, " And because I do this, I will drive the car I want to drive."
I would have to agree with the verdict, "Now that was a bachelor party." Apparently the featured guest was a killer whale.
Then there is the poor guy who performs in a pick-up football game like Betty White. A candy bar restores his man-hood.
My favorite shows a guy calling on a lovely lady, who has a young son. His leering looks, and excessive smoothness show him to the the kind of guy we don't want to date our daughters or sisters. I felt like cheering when the guy who is clearly the real-man in the commercial, says, "Keep your hands off my momma! Keep your hands off my Doritos!"

There is no doubt that with the blurring of gender-roles, the feminization of formerly masculine bastions of life, and the current economic downturn that has left more and more dads as stay-at-homes, while their wives bring home the bacon, has caused many guys to wonder, "How do I do manhood in the 21st Century?
It takes more than soap, or cars or chips or awesome parties. It is strange that the popular caricature of Biblical Christianity is that it is a religion for women and children. Nothing could be further from the truth. Get in the Word. Meet some real men.

It's STTA.

Here is a post by Al Mohler on the subject: Masculinity in a Can.

No comments:

Post a Comment