Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Lent?

(This is the fourth in a multi-part series on Lent. If you didn't read the previous parts, and would like to, scroll down,)

A reader of STTA zeroed in on exactly the point I have been trying to make with the last few STTAs. The reader asks:
I have been reading your writings on Lent and thought I would pass some thoughts by you.
. . . As an individual I have at times given up chocolate or sweets for Lent. Each time I did not eat the item, it reminded me of what Christ gave up for me. I did this privately for my own benefit. Like some one would fast. It was an edifying experience for me.
I usually use a Lenten Daily devotion. It emphasizes again the price that Christ paid for my sins. I find this to be good for me.
Am I adhering to a ritual rather than the Bible?
Knowing the person who wrote this, I was able to answer fairly authoritatively, No.
If using a remembrance that in and of itself is a benign matter and that has been established by churches over the centuries helps remind us of important truth, and emphasizes worthwhile practices, great!
If it becomes a faulty substitute for God's grace in our lives, then not great!
Bottom line we need to ask ourselves the question: What am I depending on? Activities that drive us to the Bible and encourage a Biblical lifestyle can be very useful in our lives. Things that take the place of God's word ought to be rooted out.
It's STTA.


(I'll be posting some articles and information about Lent on my blog,
http://howardmerrell.blogspot.com/)

No comments:

Post a Comment