Monday, February 1, 2010

Some thoughts from a day when it was harder to worship:

(I need to preface today's thoughts with a disclaimer: I intend no self-righteousness or accusation concerning the decisions others made. Our decision to have church services yesterday was made possible, in large part, because one of our members operates snow-removal equipment, and because we have a young strong guy on staff. Thanks Jake!)

I appreciate the reminder that going to church on a day when it is hard to get there provides. Generally my attendance at Covington Bible Church, involves a pleasant walk of a couple of hundred yards, and an entrance into a comfortable building lovingly prepared for the day's activities. It's warm in winter and cool in summer. The seats are comfortable. For many of my brothers and sisters in THE CHURCH it is very different. It has been my privilege to worship with a group of believers in Ecuador, some of whom walked several hours on muddy trails to be there. In Kiev, I sang in English, while all around me people praised the Lord in Ukrainian in an unheated building on a cold March day. Whatever the language, you could see the little clouds our breath made as we worshipped the Lord of the earth. At a huge gathering of believers in Weno, the capital of Chuuk State in Micronesia, I was surrounded by folk young and old. For many, their attendance at this gathering cost them a significant portion of their yearly income. Even though my resources exceeded that of most in the huge concrete building, the concern of the believers there was to bless me--illustrated by gifts of flowers and food.
Days like yesterday give me a little reminder of what other believers experience every week. Does God deserve to be worshipped?
I think just about all the readers of this piece would say, "Certainly!" It is one thing, however, to answer that with an answer that is only intellectual, and an entirely different matter to answer it with a snow-shovel, or by pulling on boots to wade to church.
Yesterday, the spiritual arithmetic that brings me to the undisputable conclusion that, "Yes, God is God, and He, and He, alone, deserves to be worshipped," was clear and unmistakable. He is God and I'm not. I need to act on that basis.
I'm praying that the amplified realization that the weekend snow brought to me will remain now that the sun is melting the white-stuff. I hear the words of David echoing in my ears. "I will not present burnt offerings to the Lord my God that have cost me nothing." (2 Samuel 24:24)

It's STTA

No comments:

Post a Comment