Wednesday, May 15, 2013


A friend commented on yesterday's STTA, about smooth inclines and tripping places.  His comment indicated that tripping is not always bad.  The key point in my friend's comment has to do with awareness.  If I am walking over a piece of ground that isuneven, or slick, or if there are "jagged rocks below" involved, I am on the alert.  I watch where I place my feet.  I hold onto the safety rail, or even a convenient branch as a precaution.  I "employ tactics" in keeping with "survival mode."
When I perceive that things are smooth I am apt to forget those important precautions.
The problem is, I often don't see danger until it is on top of me.  There are numerous places in scripture that counsel constant vigilance.  ". . . be on the alert.  Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion seeking someone to devour" (1 Peter 5:8).  Paul counsels Timothy to be ready all the time, and to engage in self-discipline.    The time to check the fire extinguisher and learn how to operate it is not when the fire breaks out, by then it is too late.
So, when I come to a tripping place it ought to serve as a reminder.  For sure, unless I die before I type a period, there will be other rough spots.  (Made it.)  What disciplines do I need to plug into my life, while the way is smooth?  
  
It's STTA

No comments:

Post a Comment