Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Honor #2


When last I gave you something to thinkabout (here), I was on my to a cemetery.  For reasons I won't go into, my trip had a number of points where it could have broken down and gone bad.  Apparently Murphy had a few days off, and all the pieces lined up.  There was one minor glitch that turned out to not really matter.
I am the son of a World War II vet.  My uncle, my dad's oldest brother, died in Normandy and is buried there.  Some time ago, my brother and I decided that we wanted to visit Sgt. Hugh A, Merrell's grave at the cemetery above Omaha Beach.  We were there last Thursday.  
My uncle and more than 10,000 others are remembered there.  It is appropriate that we do so.  I found myself looking at those crosses, interspersed here and there with stars of David, viewing the ruins of the defenses at Pointe Du Hoc, watching old movies of the battles, and trying to wrap my mind around the awesome arithmetic that accompanied that war--perhaps any war.  To achieve the objectives that lead to victory not only must bullets and bombs be expended, but lives must be spent.  The cost of war is evident in places like where I stood last Thursday.  Generals like Eisenhower must decide whether the cost is worth the objective.
I'm still sorting through emotions felt and lessons learned, but I know I want it to be said about me that life was given for something worthwhile.  
I believe the cause of Christ is infinitely valuable.

It's STTA 

No comments:

Post a Comment