Wednesday, May 29, 2013

From a member of the Class of '68:

I graduated from Bremen Community Township High School 45 years ago.  I have learned a few things since, and I haven't forgotten everything I have learned.  So before I do, I'm jotting a few things down for the class of 2013:
  • Take care of friends. 
    We live in a disposable culture.  It is way too easy to treat people like paper-plates and Styrofoam cups.  We do so to our own loss.  Sooner or later you will have to pay a high price to maintain a friendship.  Pay it.
  • A bigger house does not make for a better home.
    Similar statements can be made about hotter cars, nicer wardrobes, and costlier toys.
  • I hope one of you will invent a computer software program that will show you what that tattoo will look like in forty years.  Apply that logic to other decisions.  Don't sacrifice the long-term good on the altar of short-term gratification.
  • The smartest person isn't always right. Sometimes she is just able to present a more persuasive argument for the wrong position.
  • In my forty-five years since I was where you are I have never regretted obeying God, even when I paid a price to do so. I can't remember any act of disobedience, even those I enjoyed at the time, that I have not come to regret.
  • Most of you are smart enough, and skilled enough to make a living.  The question is will you make a life worth living.
  • Abraham Lincoln said, "You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time."  I add, "You can't ever fool God."  Don't try.
  • "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge."  (Proverbs 1:7)
Stay tuned.

It's STTA
 

No comments:

Post a Comment