Friday, August 14, 2015

My Home, My Castle?

Something
To
Think
About,

My Home:




"A man's home is his castle."
It's a proverb that indicates a person's dominion over their residence--particularly if they are a home owner.  Though often challenged in court and debate, in the United States this concept is a part of our legal system.  Our Bill of Rights prohibits "unreasonable searches and seizures."  Breaking and entering is a crime.  
Men--the male of the species--are apt to quote the proverb with bluster.  "I call the shots, here.  I'm master in this house."  Women knowingly smile.  Part of the means by which they run things--in a Proverbs 31 sort of way--is to let we men think we are in control.  If we men really were in control our homes probably would be more castle-like, even resembling fortresses.  The women folk, it appears to me, are less interested in a home being a citadel and more interested in making it a palace.  We guys would build turrets; the fairer sex is more interested in coordinating the color of tower with the rest of the wall.
A problem is both men and women are infected by sin.  High on the list of "What's wrong with us:" is selfishness.  Our home is a place where that sin, we condemn in others but excuse in ourselves is likely to flourish.  A desire for security can mutate into isolation, and an attitude of indifference or even hostility to those out there, on the other side of my moat.  Likewise self-expression and aesthetics can become the justification for extravagance and self-indulgence.  He can't be bothered with others, while she doesn't want others bothering her stuff.
One of the virtues that the Bible extols is hospitality--"
He must enjoy having guests in his home" (1 Timothy 3:2, NLT),  is one of the qualifications for church leadership.  It is likewise a desirable trait among the led (see here).  More important than my door keeping others out is my door being open to those I can help.  Rather than ask, "Does my welcome mat look like the picture in the magazine?"  I need to be concerned about whether Matt and Maddie are welcome.  As I write this I am blessed by being a guest in a lovely home.  It does look nice, but far more important it feels nice.
Lord, my home is one of my greatest investments.  Help me to use it for your glory.


It's STTA.

You can find out our home in heaven and how to get there here.

No comments:

Post a Comment