Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Replacement Parts I Won't Need Any More

Something
To
Think
About,

Scrap Metal I'll Leave Behind:

My Siblings and I are accumulating quite an array of new parts.  My little brother is having a new hip installed this morning.  Among the four of us we have a couple of bionic knees--with at least one more highly likely--a bunch of screws, some parts for thumbs, and some pieces that look a lot like strips of plumbers strap to me.  
I'm thankful.  My mind goes back to my childhood when one of the chores of being on vacation was going to see some of my older relatives.  Several of them were bed-fast with broken hips, others walked with great difficulty.  I figure I'd be there were it not for the wonders of modern medicine.   I pray that my brother does as well with his hip as I have with my knee.
The fact is, though, that we Merrells will be done with these various high-dollar after-market parts in just a short time.  We have children and grandkids in need of college tuition, not to mention shoes and backpacks.  Maybe someone would be interested in investing in Merrell spare parts futures.  I'm thinking you could pay us now, for the privilege of selling all this scrap metal later.  Just make sure you have a big truck before you bid.  Obviously, we won't deliver.

My wife doesn't even know I'm writing this, yet somehow I can hear her yelling, "No!"  So don't bother to send your bids.  Instead let me give you a tip.  Everything about this life is temporary.  It won't last.  With poetic beauty James reminds us, "[Y]ou do not know what your life will be like tomorrow. You are just a vapor that appears for a little while and then vanishes away."  (James 4:14)  It is likely that my titanium will go to the grave with me.  If the Lord takes me without sending me to the undertaker, He'll deal with the scrap metal and plastic as He sees fit.  Vaporize?  Let it hit the ground where I used to walk?  I don't know.  I just know I won't need those parts anymore.
When you see a gray haired guy with a long scar on his knee or an athletic lady with her arm in a sling, recovering from shoulder surgery, be reminded that just like those bones and sinews wore out, so is everything else in this world.  If my life consists only of what is down here, I am sure to be disappointed.
If you need a new part, or need an old one fixed, go get it taken care of.  But know that all that is part of this world is passing away  (herehere, & here), so make sure you prepare what lies beyond.
There is more!
It's STTA.


You can find out about that which is eternal on this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment