Thursday, August 20, 2015

The Right Way Might Look Wrong

Something
To
Think
About,

The Right Way Looking Wrong:

I was traveling on a Pennsylvania highway doing about fifty-five when I saw ahorse and buggy approaching, going in the wrong direction.  Since I don't live in an area that has an Amish or Mennonite community I was a bit surprised to see the horse-drawn vehicle going north on the same side of the road on which I was travelling south.  I'm not sure what is legal at that particular place.  I do know there is a wide paved shoulder there, the places for crossing the road to get on the other side are few and far-between, and both the buggy driver and we who sped by in the opposite direction had plenty of room.
I couldn't help but think, though, about the illustration the driver, of what most of consider an outdated rig, gave concerning the way all God's people ought to live.

 
 “Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it.  
For the gate is small and the way is narrow that leads to life,
and there are few who find it.

(Matthew 7:13-14)
The Amish and some other groups have chosen to live lives that are markedly different than the world around them.  When they dress in the morning, when they light their lamps at dusk, when they go out in their non-motorized vehicles, and in many far more important ways they are continually reminded, and they make clear to others, that they are not going in the same direction as others around them.
I'm using a computer, sitting in an air-conditioned house, having just run some errands in my Honda.  I don't believe our faith ought to defined by what we wear or how we travel.  Still, in the ultimate sense, I need to be reminded that God has called me to a different life.  He wants me to be His in a particular way, dedicated to doing good deeds (Titus 2:14).   The Bible tells me that this world is not going they way God wants it toI need to beware, andI'm not love it.  
Last Saturday, it was very obvious that someone had chosen a different direction for their life.  I wonder, today, as people watch me go from place to place, and task to task, will there be anything that indicates to those around me, "Here is a man who has chosen to follow God?"

It's STTA.

No comments:

Post a Comment