Monday, August 3, 2015

 

Something
To
Think
About,

Blurry Vision:




It was a foggy day at the beach, where my family recently gathered for vacation.  The one souvenir my wife wanted to bring home from our gathering was a family photo.  Everyone packed the appropriate clothing.  We showed up at the appointed time.  The camera was set on ten-second delay and fog or no fog, Kathy got her picture.

It would be a good time to use an "If life gives you lemons, make lemonade." or "When the going gets tough, the tough get going," cliche'.  

 
Neither snow nor rain

nor heat nor gloom of night
nor fog of day
stays grandma from getting her picture.

But the truth is there wasn't any fog.  It was late.  A storm was on its way.  In our hurry I didn't notice that the lens on my camera was smudged--probably sun-screen.  When we quickly looked at the pictures, we just thought the view-screen was fogged by the humidity.  The lightning was flashing, so I took the baby--it's what grandpas do--and headed to the house.

There are lots of ways I see things that aren't really there.  I suspect I'm not alone.  Here are just a few of smudges that cause our view to be skewed.
  • Prejudice--"Don't confuse with me with the facts.  My mind is already made up.
  • Projection--like when I project the way I think and feel onto you, and assume that is how you think, and feel.
  • Pack-think--allowing my thoughts to be shaped by "my group" or by the way all "those people" are..  
  • Perspective-blindness--that's when I assume that I am the completely unbiased viewer, and that my perspective is completely objective.  This is never true.
Lord, sharpen my vision.  May I see things the way they really are, not the way my out of focus perception sees them.
AMEN

Stay tuned.  Lord  willing, tomorrow, I'll offer some lens cleaning suggestions.

It's STTA.

No comments:

Post a Comment