Wednesday, August 12, 2015

On my anniversary, I'm thankful for that which is dependable.

 

Something
To
Think
About,

That which is solid:




My life has been remarkably stable--"boring," some would say.  I was privileged to serve as pastor of Covington Bible Church for all of my career.  I live in the same house where my bride and I settled some forty-two years ago.  On one side I've even had the same neighbors all that time.  As is inevitable, down here on this earth, though, change has accelerated, recently.  My job has changed.  I signed up for medicare.  I have a new knee.  The gradual changes that come with hanging around for sixty-five years have accumulated to the point that they can't be ignored.  More and more I find myself thinking of a loved-one or friend and remind myself that they are no longer with us.  
Granted the scientists who did the study neglected to considersome information from outside the system, but, still, the observation they made is accurate.  If left to itself the world is running down (here).  Don't go out and buy extra blankets though, at the present rate of decline the lights will stay on for a long time.  Still the study is a macro illustration of what I observe in the micro of my life.  Change is inevitable.  Left to itself this momentum of mutation is not taking us in a positive direction.
Warning: hard turn here, but I'm still on course:
This morning while my lovely wife was out walking, I fixed breakfast.  When she returned we enjoyed the meal together.  We've been sharing breakfasts and life for forty-three years.  Next to my relationship with the Lord being married to Kathy is one of few steady states in my life.  As the pace of change surges I find it more important than ever to hold on to that which is reliable.
I look around in my world and see that folk are abandoning what is secure.  They plant their feet firmly on a board that is surfing the latest big wave.  Just over the horizon is a tsunami ready to consume the current breaker as if it were but the ripple from a stone tossed into the surf.  As I see change in me and in my world, I am wonderfully thankful that there is that which doesn't change.  I'm grateful to my Lord, but today I say, "Thank you, Kathy.  Your love has been solid in the midst of the shifting reality of life."

For the rest of you . . .


It's STTA.

You can find out more about the one completely solid relationship here.

No comments:

Post a Comment