Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Oldie, #5:

Something to Think About for
July 22, 2008:



I like the funnies. I read them most every day. Included in my list of daily cartoons is Dunesberry. Yes, it is very left-wing, but it is also incredibly witty. Most important--for me--the flat characters are really good at pointing out some rather conspicuous warts.
I don't have a clue as to exactly why, but lately the comic strip has featured the plight of Iraqi Christians. The plot-line has to do with an Iraqi Christian, who fled to Syria. He is trying to get the message about the plight of his people on the news, but dufus reporter, Roland Headly, is determined to spin the story to make the "surge" look more favorable. Ouch!
We Christians in North America are often blind and deaf to the plight of God's people in other parts of the world. We tend to see them through--our maybe I should say "we are blinded by"--our American, political grid.
Dunesberry got my attention, because I know a real, flesh-and-blood guy who is working with Iraqi Christians who have fled from persecution.
How sad that a liberal cartoonist is making the case more effectively than the Iraqi Christians' sisters and brothers in the West.

It's not funny, but it's STTA

No comments:

Post a Comment