Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Doing my part means telling the truth--I have no part!

I don't want to get in a fight--at least not today--if you can identify who I'm talking about, and want to take a cyber-swing, you can go squabble on your own webspace,
No one will ever go wrong overestimating how ridiculous some of the statements made in commencement speeches are. They probably contain more cliches, and lame sentimentalism per minute than any other form of communication.
Recently, though, before a group of graduates who ought to know better, and a faculty who clearly does, a speaker spoke of the atonement as a combination of God doing His thing and me doing mine. God, of course, will uphold His part . . .
OK, we need atonement--not in the sappy, tie-your-running-shoes-tighter-and-get-going kind of way, but in the sense of realizing that I am a sinner, and there is nothing that I by myself can do about it, but, "Praise God! Christ did." You might want to see what the word "atonement" means in the Biblical sense. Easton's Bible Dictionary says, "Christ's mediatorial work and sufferings are the ground or efficient cause of reconciliation with God. They rectify the disturbed relations between God and man, taking away the obstacles interposed by sin." (read more)
Yes, we need atonement--THE ATONEMENT, the work Christ did on the cross making possible our receiving forgiveness, and new life, and heaven, and more.
Read more about how this can be yours here.

It's STTA.

No comments:

Post a Comment