Friday, May 14, 2010


OK,
there is probably more pavement in that in that picture than exists in the entire county where I live--maybe even throw in the neighboring county, as well.
I do identify with the scene, though.
I just read an email from my niece and nephew. They are on their way to the Czech Republic to work with young adults. Their route lies through Florida, New York, South Carolina, Virginia, Indiana, Podunkville, and Gotham City. I just returned from a pastor's conference. I had a great time. Met with one of my favorite pastoral-buddies, heard some incredible preaching, and music, ate too much and was generally refreshed. Budget and location don't allow flying to such events, so the odometer read nearly 800 miles when I returned.
I'll do another 800 between today and tomorrow. This time I'll ride instead of drive. A buddy will be chauffeur. I'll get in at least 500 miles of study while he deals with the traffic. Thank the Lord for laptops. Part of the reason I'll be studying is to be ready for a trip to the other side of the world, where I'll work with friends in a Bible conference.
I had breakfast yesterday with a friend who will be in Bangkok before long. He's going there to meet his first grandchild. She'll be born a missionary--not to Thailand--she is a traveler, too. My associate and his young family, just yesterday, were discussing his plans to move to Asia. And did I mention the purpose for today's trip is to work with a organization that has people around the world--reaching, teaching, encouraging, and sharing the Good News that Jesus Christ lived, died and rose again.
Oh, and how could I forget? My sweet wife is headed out in a minute, not as far, but part of her trip is to touch the life of a lady whose life is a complication of miseries. "People need the Lord." With a large measure of truth, this woman recently told Kathy, "You are all I have."
So, you see why the picture seems vaguely familiar.
By this time a question screams out, "Why?"
Two reasons in this already too long STTA:
People do need the Lord. It is likely that there are people who as far as eternal hope could say about you, "You are all I have."
The primary command of the Great Commission is not to go. It is to make disciples. Generally, though, it does involves going.
That pastor buddy I was just with speaks of "stewardship of opportunity."
I can't do everything, but I need to take seriously the openings where I can make a difference that the Lord puts in front of me.
What are you doing with the opportunities that the Lord put in your path?

It's STTA.

No comments:

Post a Comment