Monday, May 31, 2010

Thanks class of 2010:

It was my privilege, yesterday, to speak to a fine group of young adults in honor of their graduation from high school. In our area there is a tradition of long standing called a Baccalaureate Service. The term may mean other things in other places, but here it is a fairly formal gathering--at this one the graduates wore their caps & gowns and I put on my "marrying and burying" suit--for the purpose of offering spiritual input, and asking Divine favor on the occasion of this important step ahead. Decades ago these affairs were planned by the schools; it was kind of like graduation was a two step process. Now school systems can't force students to do anything religious, so baccalaureates are student run, and attendance is voluntary. I find that very impressive.A group of young people planned the service I participated in. They planned the program. They invited the singers and the preacher. By my informal count, a few more than half the class came, together with a number of parents, grandparents and assorted relatives and friends. I'm not sure how much effect my message had on these young scholars. I know that their invitation, attendance, and attention were a great encouragement to me.Thanks guys!And for the rest of you, I hope it gives some hope. It's STTA.

No comments:

Post a Comment