Thursday, November 10, 2011

Compassion:

Being compassionate isn't free.
It is said about Jesus Christ that He "felt compassion for them, because they were distressed and dispirited like sheep without a shepherd."  (Matthew 9:36)  Isaiah predicted of Christ that He bore our griefs and carried our sorrows.  (Isaiah 53:4)  I've always been intrigued by the words from the Lord after the woman succeeded in touching His robe:  ""Who is the one who touched Me?"  The disciples pointed out that people were pressing in on Him from every side, but Jesus replied, "Someone did touch Me, for I was aware that power had gone out of Me."   Power had gone out of me.  Obviously, something was going on, here, that is beyond you or me, but just what went out.  Was there a wearying effect that Jesus contact with needy people had on Him.  It is a real possibility.
Last night a friend was telling me about his friend and his spiritual need.  He apologized because he was getting teary.  I should have apologized because I wasn't.  In the last hour I heard from someone who needs help with finances, and another who is concerned because a loved one is being treated badly.  In each of these cases, compassion will cost something.
I know I can't meet every need, but do I too easily use that as an excuse for not trying to meet any need?  
Compassion is expensive.  Is it a cost I'm willing to pay?

No comments:

Post a Comment