Monday, November 7, 2011

Mercy!

A year or so ago I stopped at a traffic check that state and local police had set up just down the road.  As I pulled up next to the officer who was holding out his hand for me to stop, I recognized him as a young man who had grown up in the church I pastor.  
"This is my worst nightmare," I said, adding his name.
Without missing a beat, from beneath his broad-brimmed hat and from behind his sunglasses, he said, "It's about to get worse, if you don't have your license and registration."  
Of course he delivered the line in that flat, octave-lower-than-normal, state trooper voice they all seem to have.  I was glad I had the necessary paper work.  
Thankfully, my young friend has never pulled me over when I was actually guilt of something.  His colleagues have.  Officers have been kind enough to remind me that my inspection sticker had expired, or that I was exceeding the speed limit.  Whenever I have been apprehended in this manner there is a very long period of time between when the officer first announces my observed offense, and when they go back to the police cruiser to check things out.  During that couple of minutes which seems like a few hours, one thought dominates my mind.  
Mercy.
To be honest, I know I don't deserve mercy.  Isn't that an oxymoron?  I want police to to be tough on crime; I realize that is essential to a well-ordered society; but I sure hope--with an element of confessed selfishness-- that this officer will choose to make someone else an example.
want mercy.
I think about my checking account.  need mercy.
My mind runs to the ribbing I will take when others read the public record of my offence, and I desperately hope for mercy.
As I have already said, I know I don't deserve mercy, but I remember the great feeling of relief I have felt when an officer said those most welcome of words, "I'm giving you a warning." 
I know how blessed it is to receive mercy.  Jesus said blessed are those who show mercy.   That beatitude goes on to say, that those who show mercy will receive mercy.  (Matthew 5:7)  It's not karma at work.  Really the first part of each of those beatitudes describes the way God's people are.  When I have the power, from a purely human viewpoint, showing mercy isn't much fun.  It is one of the reasons power corrupts.  But if God has done His saving work in my heart, the Holy Spirit will give me a spirit of mercy (Look at the fruit of the Spirit, Galatians 5:22-23, while mercy isn't listed there, these are traits that tend in that direction.)  Even on those occasions when duty demands that I do the right thing, and give the ticket, mark the student with a failing grade, or punish my child, I will, like Joseph, do right tempered with mercy (Micah 6:8,Zechariah 7:9).  

Lord, give me a willingness to show mercy that equals my desire to receive it.
Amen.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment