Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Patience? It looks good on others:

 "A hot-tempered man stirs up strife, But the slow to anger calms a dispute." (Proverbs 15:18)  

How often we think, or say, "Just give me a minute."  Yet how selfish we can be with a minute if someone else needs one.

I sometimes wonder when I'm walking down a hall behind a group going slower than I want to go, "Do I slow others down as much as they do me?"  Probably.

When I'm out for a leisurely  drive I "Tsk, tsk," the horn-honkers.  When I'm late for an appointment I find the same delays quite irritating.  
 
Lord give me patience.  I'm tempted to add, "Right now!"but I'm working on it.

The New Testament has two words for patience.
One is primarily patience with situations and things.  We can get impatient with the weather, the passage of time, balky machinery--things over which we have little or no control.  Hupomone speaks of patience in trying circumstances.  It is a trait I greatly admire in others, especially people like police officers, moms, or ticket agents in airports. 

Lord, in the midst of turmoil and trying situations may I be surrounded with patient people.
 But, often I'm not surrounded by people with that kind of patience.  In fact I frequently find myself surrounded not just by trying circumstances, but trying people.  I imagine there are times when others find me to be that trying person.  Makrothumia is often translated as "long-suffering."  Think about loving spouses with irritating mates, or kind parents with demanding children, or loyal, faithful employees with irritating bosses--those who suffer long and thus model patience.  
 
Patience, it is one of the virtues that we ought to practice, model and promote.
  

Here are some places where God's word speaks about patience:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment