Thursday, November 3, 2011

I'd like to be courageous, but I'm kinda scared:

C. S. Lewis said, "Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at the testing point."
I think it was that great thinker John Wayne who said, "Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway."
Courage is that quality that motivates and enables us to do right when it is hard.  I suppose one may possess courage during good times, but it will not be seen until the time of trial. To paraphrase Thomas Paine, when we come to one of those times that try our souls, unless we are possessed of courage, we like the "summer soldier, the sunshine patriot" will shrink from doing right.
  
Those of us who have earned some gray hair and bear the scars of battles past know the difference between courage and fool-heartiness.  Sometimes people happen to charge into the right battles, without real courage.  Their eagerness to engage has more to do with ignorance than bravery.  True courage requires a solid foundation.  Proverbs 28:1 offers such a platform:  "The wicked flee when no one is pursuing, But the righteous are bold as a lion.
You may be able to correct me, but I don't know of anyone who is truly courageous concerning what they know is a wrong cause.  Out of desperation we may do something that on the surface appears to be courageous, to cover our guilt, but that's not courage.  Knowing I am right, knowing the value of the right, and being convinced that righteousness is worth standing for--even dying for--it is on such stones that courage is built.

Lord, give me a conviction of that which is right so that I will have the courage to do what is right.  I need to see clearly so that I can act courageously.  Help me not to buckle at the point of crisis, but rather to buckle on the armor You have provided, and having done all to stand,help me to stand. May I not forget that if I lead out of fear then I can only lead in retreat.   Lord, make us, Your church, those who, knowing that our cause is right and our victory is secure, live lives of courage.  
Amen. 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment