Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Trust? Oh!

Several trust issues have come way recently.  It is no wonder; life as we know it depends on trust.  One example:  When I drive I trust my life to numerous people I have never even met.  Way too often someone violates that trust through substance abuse, texting-while-driving, or just utter irresponsibility, yet early this morning I trusted a score of people to stay on their side of the road, stop at stop signs, and generally pay attention to the task of driving.  Especially, considering that at that hour, in a mill-town, many of those on the road have been up all night, the trust that I place in them involves considerable risk.
So, maybe I should just play it safe and walk everywhere?  But, that raises a new set of trust issues.  I can't even lock myself in my room without the necessity of trusting someone.  The question is "who to trust?" and, "how much?"
When I opened my email this morning I saw that one of our world's observers of human foibles had weighed in on the issue.  (At this point you might want to take a look at Scott Adam's Dilbert cartoon for 11/15.)  Asok is asking Wally a question.  If you are not a Dilbert fan, you need to understand that Wally is an incredibly clever individual, who uses his intellect to avoid all meaningful work.  "Wally,is there any difference between trust and stupidity?"  (emphasis mine)  
Wally, ever present coffee-cup in hand, replies, "Hold that thought.  I'll be right back."
The middle panel is blank except for Asok standing, waiting, trusting.
The third panel show's Asok, still alone, but with one word of enlightenment, "Oh."
It is a hard lesson that many folk in the non-comic world have learned through bitter experience, and one that many more need to master--hopefully, minus the bitters.  
Asok, Howard, reader, there are those who just aren't a good risk.  They will leave you all alone in the second and third panel, looking foolish before all the world.  An old farm related proverb makes the point this way.  The first time the mule kicks me it is the mules fault, the second time, I'm to blame.  I regularly see people with multiple hoof prints, sincerely asking: should I trust him or her again?
To which I ask, "Is there any credible reason to think that the mule has reformed since the last time you were kicked?"  
 Trust involves taking a chance.  Wisdom involves making sure it is a risk worth taking.

No comments:

Post a Comment