Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Where is your treasure, now?

Last night I had a wonderful time with a group of guys in our Prayer Meeting (We are open to ladies joining us, it is just that there is a meeting parallel with Prayer Meeting where we guys aren't welcome, so the Wednesday evening prayer and Bible study time tends to be mostly male.  Last night we discussed Matthew 6:19-24.   It begins with Jesus command/counsel about where to put our treasure.  We can put it down here, which Jesus says we shouldn't do, because down here "moth and rust corrupts and thieves steal."  Or, we can put our treasure in a place where it will be secure, heaven.  Not only is that where Jesus says we should put our treasure, He gives us sound reasons for doing so.
It is interesting that my study of this passage of scripture coincided with a tragic happening in the life of a friend of mine.  My friend has a house that is temporarily empty.  He's done a lot of work on the house, getting it ready for someone to move into.   Included in the refurbishing is (or "was," now) new plumbing.  Just like the Lord Jesus warned, thieves broke in and stole.  Thousands of dollars worth damage and stolen plumbing netted someone hundreds of dollars worth of scrap, which has likely already been burnt up in the form of drugs.  My friend is hurt, but he knows clearly that "this world is not my home.  I'm just a passin' through."  I'm confident that he knows that his real treasures are above.
Jesus warned that how we view our stuff, what we treasure, and where our treasure is stored, will affect who we are, how we think and what we do.  If our treasure is on earth so will our heart be.  I think it is likely that Paul had the Lord Jesus' words in mind when he said, ". . . if you have been raised up with Christ, keep seeking the things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth."  (Colossians 3:1-2)
Just as the Lord Jesus said, I must make a choice.  I can't serve both God and Mammon (wealth personified).  As Midas found out, before he got into the auto exhaust business, where I set my affection will change my life. 


Before you can put treasure in heaven, you need to know you are going there.  http://covingtonbiblechurch.com/lifesmostimportant.html

No comments:

Post a Comment