Friday, September 14, 2012

A Word to Christians and Muslims, #2:

Something To Think About
HM
SOMETHING 
TO THINK ABOUT
   
There is a two letter "word" that I find just about as offensive as four-letter words.  The two letters, P-C have been used to silence students, workers, children and even preachers.  It seems that everyone thinks they are entitled to live in an offense-free zone.  Frankly, that offends me.
Yesterday I spent part of my space, here at STTA, encouraging Christians to not be needlessly offensive to people of other faiths.  I used that word "needlessly" on purpose.  One totally unacceptable solution to offense related problems is for Christians--it seems we are most often the target--to simply not make any truth claims, or to so water down our proclamation that the only possible offense is because of excessive blandness.
A verse I referenced yesterday, 1 Peter 3:15, says, "Sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence;"  Make a defense, give an account.  The first word is "apologia"--not "I'm sorry," but a thoughtfully crafted case for the truth of what is believed.  The second word is "logos," word or speech.  The progression is:
  • Live the truth.
  • When asked,
  • Make your case, but
  • Be sure to do it with "gentleness and reverence."
The Apostle Paul's message on Mars Hill, is a marvelous example of what his friend Peter was talking about.

God has not guaranteed we Christians an exclusive voice.  He has sent us to be a voice--clear and strong.  Sometimes speaking the truth will be costly.  It is a cost we must be willing to pay.

To those of other faiths, know that those of us who are committed to follow Jesus, and to obey His word cannot be quiet.  We must speak the truth.  Those of us who, in my humble opinion, see the issue most clearly, do not expect you to be quiet.  I expect you to make your case with your best rhetoric and writing.  I'm fine with that.  Just don't ask me to make my case with one hand of persuasion tied behind my back.

To my fellow Christians, the victory will not come from silencing others.  It comes from winning others.  If we are able to proclaim the truth, that truth will bear fruit.
  
It's STTA.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment