Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Bread & Politics:

Something To Think About
HM
SOMETHING 
TO THINK ABOUT
Talk about bluntness.  In 2 Thessalonians 3:10 Paul reminds his beloved friends of this command, "If anyone is not willing to work, then he is not to eat, either." Lay that down next to the pattern for prayer that our Lord gave us: "Give us this day our daily bread."  Then let this inform us: "Every good thing given and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shifting shadow." (James 1:17)  
I am instructed to work for my bread, yet it is clear that ultimately my bread is not a product of my labor.  It is gift from God.  Bible stories that illustrate this abound.  God fed Elijah by air express and later by miraculously expanding a poor widows supply of meal and oil.  (1 Kings 17)   One of the best known miracles in the Bible is the feeding of the 5,000 from a little boys lunch.  (Mark 6:35-44)
I, as well as most of the readers of STTA, live in a nation where I am not only the ruled, but the ruler.  As Abraham Lincoln said, this is a nation of "of the people."  It is appropriate for me to vote.  Though I greatly limit my "politicking" because of my position as a leader in the church, there is nothing wrong with Christians being politically active.  In fact I think some Christians need to wade into that realm.
 
Here is where bread and politics are similar.  God is soveriegn in the affairs of men.  That is one of the themes of the book of Daniel.  God is in control.  "The Most High is ruler over the realm of mankind, And bestows it on whom He wishes And sets over it the lowliest of men."  (4:17)
 
Vote.  Engage resposibly in politics.  More importantly, however, trust and obey the Lord.
 
It's STTA.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment