Tuesday, September 25, 2012

LISTEN HARD!

Something To Think About
HM
SOMETHING 
TO THINK ABOUT
I was "chatting" with a preacher friend of mine.  I said something to him I often say to fellow pastors; I typed into the chat box, "Preach the word, bro."  Then I happened to remember, my friend serves a church where there are several preaching pastors.  So I added, "If Charlie is preaching, listen hard."
I had just gone through an experience of listening hard.  I was trying to take in a very complex, long, and sometimes boring presentation.  In order to keep my mind from wandering I wrote down extensive notes.  If I hadn't involved my hands, as well as my ears in listening hard, I wouldn't have really heard.  Moms who love their little ones will step to the nursery door, and listen hard to discern whether the little one who has been sick is breathing well and sleeping soundly.  If she doesn't hear the wheeze or rattle, the baby's sickness could get worse for lack of care.  She listens hard.
 
Do I listen hard to the Word of God?  When I read it?  Or when I hear it preached or taught?  Before our culture subscribed to the Lake Woebegone doctrine, that "all the children [really are] above average," and political-correctness made such silly insults illegal, adults used to tell children, "You must have a hole through your head.  What I say goes in one ear and out the other."
 
 
  Sometimes the Word of God finds no more lodging in my head than that.  
 
I need to listen harder.
 
 
It's STTA.

No comments:

Post a Comment