Thursday, September 27, 2012

Dead Pizza and the Future of Mankind:


HM
SOMETHING 
TO THINK ABOUT
I found a couple of pieces of "dead" pizza in the freezer that I nuked back to at least a half-life, and sat down at my desk for lunch.  While one hand was occupied bringing freezer burned bread and sauce to my mouth, I used the other to navigate the web.  A friend had sent me a link to the video at the right.    It is about ten months old, but still
IBM Next 5 in 5: 2011
IBM Next 5 in 5: 2011
pretty cutting edge from where I sit.  
Actually, even before I watched the video, I surprised myself twice.  First, I was surprised that IBM had put the video out.  The old staid and proper International Business Machines is hardly considered to be trendy anymore.  They are the folk who made your grandfather's computer.  Yet, here they were putting out a video, complete with a very up-and-coming looking host, about five trends that they expected to change the world in the next five years.
The surprise number two kicked in.  I kind of shocked myself with the above reaction.  The trendy, the cool, or kewl, or next-big-thing-ish has a very short shelf life.  I remember when IBM was it, now just a historical milli-second later even somebody as un-trendy as me had already come to think that the future belongs to the Apples, or Droid-niks, or to the unknown kid wearing a hoodie and tinkering in his parent's basement.  Could the Oldsmobile driving people at IBM possible have anything to say?

One more surprise that I hope to spring on you.  It is often a goal of mine in STTA.  I don't care if all you have to do is look your car in the eye and say start, or if everyone in the world under sixty gets a very intelligent phone instead of a fairly dumb computer, which, by the way will be powered by generators in your Nikes.  Even if you don't really need the phone because you were just wired to read the minds of others, who you don't really need because you are utterly entranced by the relevance of the electronically custom filtered information brought to your fingertips.  Even if all of the Five in Five predictions come true, here is something that you will need, that is even older than the pizza I had for lunch.  
"He has made everything appropriate in its time. He has also put eternity in [our] hearts . . . [we] cannot discover the work God has done from beginning to end". (Eccelesiastes 3:11, HCSV) 
"The conclusion, when all has been heard, is: fear God and keep His commandments, because this applies toevery person. (Ecclesiastes 12:13, NASB)   

People need Jesus.
 
 
It's STTA.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment