Wednesday, September 5, 2012

"God" or no "God"?


HM
SOMETHING 
TO THINK ABOUT
I confess I haven't read the platform adopted by either of the major political parties.  I am aware--how could you miss it--that the word "God" is not found in one of them.  I'm told by the arbiter of all such things, Google, that God is mentioned ten times in the other.
 
Slam-dunk!
Close the books.
What more do I need to hear?
 
 Maybe not.  
 
If you ask me, "What book in the Bible speaks clearly about God's sovereign activities in the affairs of nations and people?" I would likely respond, "Daniel." or, "Esther."  As one would expect the book of Daniel is full of references to God.  My computer tells me that in one translation the word "God" is found 81 times in the Book of Daniel.  The Book of Esther, on the other hand, never mentions God by any of His names, and contains no prayer.  Yet both books are powerful statements of God's control.
I just finished reading the Prophecy of Isaiah in my daily Bible reading.  The book begins and ends with condemnations of people who were awash with the trappings of religion--the right religion--but were at heart Godless.

Who requires of you this trampling of My courts?  
 Bring your worthless offerings no longer,  
. . . I hate your new moon festivals and your appointed feasts, They have become a burden to Me; 
I am weary of bearing them.  
"So when you spread out your hands in prayer,  
I will hide My eyes from you; (Isaiah 1:12-15). 
 
But he who kills an ox is like one who slays a man;
He who sacrifices a lamb is like the one who breaks a dog's neck;
He who offers a grain offering is like one who offers swine's blood;
He who burns incense is like the one who blesses an idol.
As they have chosen their own ways,
And their soul delights in their abominations,
So I will choose their punishments
And will bring on them what they dread.
Because I called, but no one answered;
I spoke, but they did not listen.
And they did evil in My sight.  (Isaiah 66:3-4) 
 
It is possible to talk about God all the time and be totally oblivious to what He is really doing.  
 
I'm not saying none of this is important.  I am saying we need to do more than count words.
 
It's STTA.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment