Thursday, November 10, 2016

Building Commonweal

The Commonweal Doesn't Come From DC:


Commonweal - the welfare of the public.  It's not a word that we use very often.  It is related to "commonwealth," as in "Commonwealth of Virginia."  It's a good word and an even better concept.  Each of us should ask, "What can I do to encourage commonweal?"

As I type, President Obama and President Elect Trump are getting ready to meet in Washington.  I am praying that their conference will be productive, but I don't expect their encounter to be the primary source of commonweal.  Instead, I'm looking to events and people much closer to home to bring about a public climate that leads to the welfare of my neighbors, and me:
  • This morning a group of fellow pastors sat down and shared breakfast.  We represent a network  that, together, has invested well over a century in our community and beyond.  I hope my contribution has made my community better; I know that of my colleagues has.
  • I had a conversation with a young man who is beginning to invest in public service at the most basic, entry-level, way.
  • I received word from two friends who received, and/or are committed to performing, random acts of kindness--paying it forward, if you will.
  • A member of a church in our area gave me an announcement for an event that is seeking to meet the needs of some of my neighbors who were impacted by a recent disaster.
  • An associate and I dropped off an ad for a community event, emphasizing the true meaning of Christmas.
No congressional action, or presidential decrees were involved in any of these. No tax funds, or campaign contributions have, or will be spent on any of these activities.  Not to belittle what is currently going on at the White House, but what I'm describing here has the potential to impact the lives of my neighbors in a far more profound ways than anything that will reported on this evening's news.

COMMONWEAL--don't wait for it to arrive paid for and packaged from the capital, either national or state, instead go out an build some.

 

It's STTA.

Yesterday I wrote down some of my thoughts about what to do now that the election is past. Click here.

Here is a simple video presentation of the Good News It's what matters preeminently.

No comments:

Post a Comment