Thursday, November 3, 2016

Congratulations to the most loyal fans I know:

 


Congratulations to the most loyal group of fans I know:

 

I won't try to pretend to be a real fan by quoting statistics and talking about specific players.  I haven't followed baseball, or sports in general for a while.  I only listened to the last Inning and half of last night's game.  I do know fan loyalty, though.  I grew up in the Suburbs South of Chicago.  Lots of my playmates, and their dads were fans of the Cubs, our neighbor, Larry, fanatically so.  Cubs fans had to "wait until next year," for a lot of years.  The Cleveland fans I know came later in life.  They have been a hard-bitten lot as well.  So as I congratulate those who rooted for the guys who play at a field with the same name as the gum they chew, I extend my condolences to the fans of the Warriors of the Cuyahoga.   
The skill and discipline, built on top of God-given talent, that makes up athletic excellence is something that, kept in its right place, can be done, and vicariously enjoyed, for the glory of God.  God made the human body with marvelous capabilities.  I think Eric Liddell, missionary and Olympic champion was onto something when he said, "God made me fast, and when I run I feel his pleasure."  The Apostle Paul made frequent reference to the sports of his day.  Passages like, 1 Corinthians 9:24-27, and 2 Timothy 2:5 & 4:7-8 make use of scenes from the games of his day.  I think the Apostle would enjoy watching a closely played contest like last night's.
Paul knew, though, to not allow the contest in the arena to over-shadow the struggle that really matters.  Speaking of the athletes of his day, and the wreath the winner received as a prize, he said, "They do it to win a prize that will fade away, but we do it for an eternal prize" (1 Corinthians 9:25, NLT)

It's STTA.

PS:  Here is a simple video presentation of the Good News It's what matters preeminently.

No comments:

Post a Comment