Tuesday, November 22, 2016

TOGETHER, for Thanksgiving and Beyond

 


Together Again, It makes my gray head thankful:

 If you have nothing better to do than to read STTA every day, you know that Kathy and I have been at our older son's house for the past couple of days.  Last night, my younger son and his family arrived.  Kathy and I watched, and HEARD, the "Cuzzins" having a good time.  We really enjoy the fact that they enjoy each other.  Everyone except my older grandson was there.  He has been out on his own for a couple of years.  He lives nearby and will be in and out this week.  It's good to be together.

It's even better to be TOGETHER.
My Daughters-in-law, and my sons are bringing their children up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord.  The oldest grandchild, the one on his own, is a passionate follower of Christ.  I can look around my son's home and see reminders of the faith that makes this, and his brother's family tick.  I am very thankful.

At this point in life all of us being together is an important part of me being together.  I remember hearing Dr. James Dobson, decades ago, answer the question about what he regarded as most important in family life.  I found these words in a graduation speech Dobson delivered.  As I remember it approximates the answer I heard on that earlier occasion.


". . . be there.
On resurrection morning, be there.
I will be looking for you then.
Nothing else matters. Be there."

Children & grandchildren aren't computers.  We can't program them.  At the top of our goals as parents, however, at the head of the list of our priorities for how we use those eighteen, or so, critical years that our children are at home, in bold letters on our prayer list should be these words, "Lord, in the end, I want my family to be there."  Together.

It is likely a long way from here to heaven.  For the youngest of us it could be a century.  I can't look in anyone's heart and see what is there, but looking around at my family together, and seeing the evidence, gives me great encouragement.  In the sense of "Keep it together." or, "Don't go to pieces."  I feel together.

Moving toward Thanksgiving, I'm a thankful "Papa."

No comments:

Post a Comment