Thursday, November 24, 2016

Thankful to have Survived and More

Thankful to have Survived & More:

 Some of the wisecracks that I've heard all my life make a whole lot more sense at this point in my life:
"How you doing?"
"At this point in life I'm just glad to be doing at all."
"It's good to see you here."
"At my age, I'm just glad to be anywhere."
"I'm still kickin', just not too high."


Winston Churchill said, "Few things are more exhilarating than being shot at to no effect."  Those who live to fight another day have a joy in survival that is not understood by those who have never stared the blackness in the eye.

I don't want to compare my life to those of you who have really faced danger, but as I look back over my sixty-six plus years I see some times that I could have checked out.  The most memorable occasion was not one of physical danger.  It took me a long time to get over it.  In a sense, I'll never be over it.  As I look back over the last year, or so, though, I notice that sun has been as bright as I ever remember it shining, flowers smell like flowers.  I find myself just sitting and taking in God's goodness.  I'm glad to be able inhale.

It is not merely that I survived.
I am spending this Thanksgiving surrounded by family.  As I type this  my lovely wife is by my side.  Both my sons and their families are serving the Lord.  My two adult grandchildren appear to be on the right track.  I have worthwhile work to do.  I just ate a wonderful meal with all my family, earlier today my son and I took a bike  ride.  To quote the Casting Crowns song, "It's time for us to more than just survive.  We were made to thrive.

I'm thankful to feel those words being worked out in my heart this Thanksgiving.

 
It's STTA.


No comments:

Post a Comment